Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sehwag asks the quintessential question...

"Why should we be quiet?"
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/330467.html

A question relevant not only to team India on the cricket field but also the their supporters blogging to their defense. We know India better than any Australian or South African (regardless of colour). If Mister Procter knows racism, Indians do too. As recently as 1947 our country was controlled by a racist imperialist power. Retaining a memory of our history does not amount to "carrying a chip on one's shoulder". Indeed retaining a memory of what we have endured is the only way of making sense of what is going on now. The mere mention of the word "postcolonial" invites eye-rolling from the ex-"masters".

What some call "bile" is indeed anger. But dismiss it at your own peril. This is not anger at what happened in the 200 years before 1947. This is anger at what is happening now. Referring to those 200 years only serves to reveal trends, proclivities, attitudes and dispositions. Some things change, a lot doesn't.

We know how to compose sentences with anger. This blog represents the same spirit that brings some irate fans out to the streets in protest, but this blog also reflects a different choice. This is how I choose to protest. And as Sehwag ponders, so do I, why should we be quiet?

Taking a long hard look at something is all very well. But I could just as simply request you to do the same. I'd be happy to acquiesce if some concrete argument was offered to refute what I have written. As things stand I do not see how someone from abroad can tell me that I know less about racism in my country than he or she. It's quite absurd.

I invite you to read something about the positive aspects of Indian culture (rather than gather together bits and pieces of negative opinion based on antiquated traditions). If you do this seriously you're more than likely to find that Harbhajan Singh has no racist inclinations.

Too many people, however, like to paint everything with the same brush. To them racism must mean one single thing no matter what the context. In fact, context, be it historical, geographical, cultural, or circumstantial, has no bearing on their thinking whatsoever.

I'm not drowning in my bile. I'm drowning you in it.

No comments: